The title really does give away what this post is all about today: Where all those book girlfriends and book best friends at? Book boyfriends are awesome! I’m not really one to openly gush about guys, but I will mention who my favourites are, if it comes up in conversation – lets face it: fictional guys are often better than real life ones. I love seeing peoples’ lists of who their favourites are – it’s quite fascinating to see who people are drawn to – but where are the book girlfriends, for all the girls and guys that are into girls? Or the book best friends?
We can all agree that diversity is important and this is often spoken about in regards to book content, but it recently occurred to me that this talking point in the blogging world isn’t as diverse as it could be. By no means, am I saying that people shouldn’t blog about book boyfriends – everyone should know about the awesome that is Levi from Fangirl, or the Drake brothers from the ‘Drake Chronicles’ – but it would also be nice to hear about other lists.
First of all, the thought has occurred to me that if there is a book girlfriend list made by a boy then someone may bring up an argument against it in relation to sexism – I’m a feminist, so these things occur to me – but I think that as long as it is done tastefully and focuses on a girls’ personality and not how they’re described looks wise, then it should be okay. It’s only fair right? The vast amount of the time, us girls seem more concerned with who the character is; how they treat the people around them, instead of focusing on looks – yes, it does get mentioned, of course, but what also gets mentioned sometimes, is how we can get tired of all the perfect looking people. This post though, actually occurred to me because I thought about the girls out there whom aren’t into boys, but girls. Yes, it may be difficult for straight people out there to make a list of book girlfriends, but surely there are gay bloggers out there, so feel free to join in and make your lists – only if you want to, of course.
As I’m writing this, it has occurred to me that we do write about female book heroines, so maybe this is a version of book girlfriends…? You can still get girl crushes if you’re a straight person – I really hate all these labels, by the way – so maybe we could write about that? I’ve actually got an upcoming post about a TV character that I have a girl crush on, because she is just all kinds of awesome – I greatly admire her.
On to another related matter: book best friends. I’m sure I have seen people mention before that there is often a lack of true friendships in books – often between a girl and a boy; they can just be friends, people – and I am inclined to agree. Good friendship is important to me. I’m not one of those people with tons of friends, but one whom gets on with almost everyone, but has a few really good friends. I’m socially awkward, so it’s hard for me people – trust me, I ain’t lying; my brain often goes blank and I have no idea what to say. I really don’t do small talk. However, there really are some great friendships and characters in books that I would love to be friends with. Here’s a list for all you list loving people out there:
- Lucy and Solange from the ‘Drake Chronicles’ by Alyxandra Harvey – I’m currently rereading this series and man, I have missed these characters! Lucy and Solange would fight to the death for each other. I can probably relate to Solange more, just because she is the quieter of the two, but I adore Lucy. She makes me laugh so much. She is this quirky, loony ball of fire and energy – I would love to have her as my friend.
- Noah from All Fall Down by Ally Carter – Noah is adorable! He’s funny and always there for Grace when she needs him – see, boy and girl just being friends. I’ve noticed how I’m always drawn to people who make me laugh – sense of humor for the win. I don’t see how someone can read this book and come away not liking Noah. He’s awesome! Don’t disagree with me on this – well you can, but don’t. Okay? 😉
- ‘The Raven Cycle’ series by Maggie Stiefvater – This is a series about supernatural goings on, but at the heart of it, it is a story about friendship. I’ve said this many times now: I want to be part of their group. Be my friend please. Wow, that isn’t desperate, is it?
- ‘Harry Potter’ series by J.K. Rowling – This wouldn’t be a list of best friends, if it didn’t include the three amigos, Harry, Ron and Hermione. I don’t really need to say much here, do I?
- ‘The Lotus War’ series by Jay Kristoff – This is an interesting one, because it features one best friend, whom isn’t actually human. Buruu and Yukiko are best friends; Buruu is an Arashitora, which is like a Griffin I think and Yukiko is able to talk to him and understand him via her mind, and… I want a Buruu, okay. Their friendship is sweet and so so funny.
I shall leave the list there, because this has become a really long post now. My point is, I think, that it is nice to see alternative lists every now and then. So, people, keep making your lists and don’t be afraid to create some new and different lists. Go forth, my friends.